Thursday, April 05, 2007

Flamescentral opening this weekend

This is another shrewd Ken King move for the organization, but I have to wonder about its long term viability. I'm sure the place will be hopping while the Flames do well, but come the lean years (we all know its at least possible they will come again) I think it will be hard to draw crowds. Shanks can do it but they cater to the 'general' sports fan. However, the restaurant portion (Wildfire Grill) is going to cater to the lunch crowds, so I guess if it actually serves half-decent food they've got a good backup. It's gonna be pretty empty in April though if we don't make it past the first round (am I jinxing us by assuming the Flames are in? Call me optimistic).

Anyway, the place looks pretty cool, here's the article from the Calgary Herald and here are some early pictures.


2 comments:

Steal Thunder said...

I actually heard about this on the news the other night. Actually, it was after I got home on Tuesday night and for some reason I was watching a show on a Calgary station. I was busy at my computer when the news came on and I was about to change the channel when they did the teaser for the story...

Anyway, it looks pretty cool, and they did say that there would also be concerts and such going on there as well, so I think it should do alright...

Also cool that they are opening the place up during a home game against the greasers. Try to tell me the place won't be hopping on Saturday night...

MacS said...

It'll be a scene come Game 1.

But another potential consequence is that the Red Mile will be split, which is a bit dissapointing. Hopefully we have enough fans that we gridlock 17th and 8th.