Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ethan Moreau

07-08 Season Preview
A top notch athlete in terms of strength and conditioning. Moreau has a win at all costs attitude and is very well respected in the dressing room, considered by many to be the future captain of the Oilers. My only issue with Moreau being named captain is that it's hard to lead when you spend only 15 minutes a night (tops) on the ice, regardless, Moreau does not need a 'C' on his shoulder to be a leader. Has tremendous speed and is an excellent forechecker. Is very willing to fight. Has almost zero closing ability which is exemplified by his offensive numbers, but god knows he gets plenty of chances.

Update: October 2, 2007 - Ethan Moreau named head captain of the Edmonton Oilers

07-08 Season Evaluation
First of all I think I'd like to say that I stand behind my earlier argument that there were better choices for captain than Ethan Moreau, only because of his limited ice time, and now obviously, because of his limited healthy time (I still like Steve Staios for that option).

It seems I was only half correct when I said Moreau simply cannot close on scoring chances. While the overall team production (GFON/60) is the absolute worst when the Moreau is on the ice, he's not actually that terrible at putting the puck in the net (6th overall for returning players).


A lot of red overall for Moreau in the offensive categories, but nothing that surprising. What is worth mentioning, and again, something I have ignored for all my other profiles save Nystrom, is Moreau's absolutely terrible corsi number. Now the sample size is pretty small so that could account for some of the issue; to my eye I don't remember Moreau the ice being tilted so heavily toward the Oilers' net when Moreau is on like I do with Nystrom (although that could explain why team production drops so much when he's on the ice). But it doesn't explain why, if the opposition is getting so many shots, his GAON/60 is so fair. Up front he's behind only Stortini and Nilsson. Seems like something doesn't add up.

No reason to expect anything but the same from Moreau this year. I suppose it's possible MacTavish starts off trying out Moreau with some of the heavier lifting - the sorts of situations Reasoner had in the past - but it's also possible Brodziak gets that job and MacT slots him in with Stortini and a newbie on the 4th.

There is a Lebrun article that both Jonathan and LT are talking about where MacT has been hinting at Penner and Moreau on the 3rd line. Let it be so.

Projection: 3rd liner
Key Stat: 3rd forward GAON/60

5 comments:

Jonathan Willis said...

Yeah, should be a fun year for Moreau if he can stay healthy. It's gotten to the point where it's difficult to know exactly what he's capable of, but it wouldn't surprise me if he looks pretty good in a heavy-lifting role.

MacS said...

He's probably the best option off the mark and then I would assume Brodziak and perhaps even Pouliot occasionally get the chance.

Jonathan Willis said...

He's probably the best option off the mark and then I would assume Brodziak and perhaps even Pouliot occasionally get the chance.

Yeah, outside of MacTavish dropping the power-vs.-power idea and running Cole/Pisani as a tandem, there isn't much choice other than to hope that Moreau is both healthy and the same quality player he was before these injuries.

Anonymous said...

Nice dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

Opulently I acquiesce in but I contemplate the brief should prepare more info then it has.