Monday, April 23, 2007

2007 Team Canada IIHF World Championship Roster Announcements / Heart of a Lion

Canada added superb defencemen Dan Hamhuis and Shea Weber to the roster last night. Although I never mentioned Hamhuis he really is a very very good top 4 guy, and Shea Weber, as I've mentioned his inclusion before, is just really spectacular. I think of him to be a lot like Dion Phaneuf (they were d-partners in the World Junior Championship), but a bit better positionally, minus the massive hits. They are definately both top choice guys for Steve Yzerman and Co., but I would say that their inclusion means Bouwmeester is definately out. Not having him and Crosby there is a huge blow to Team Canada.

Speaking of Dion Phaneuf, will he join the team? I'm sure he's on the list, but right now there are 5 defenceman on that team that are all used to significant ice time, so is there room for Dion? I would expect Canada adds a player more in the Andrew Ference vein.

-----

Well, it won't come as any suprise to those watching Flames games, but I got it on pretty good authority today that both of Rhettsky's shoulders are completely shot, and that he will seriously consider retirement in the off-season. I thought his performance throughout this post-season was exemplary considering his work load and health. It's not Warrener's fault the Flames didn't have any defensive depth, and I think overall he did a tremendous job. You can question Warrener's play all you want, but I think everyone can agree he has the heart of a lion.

4 comments:

Kent W. said...

I always liked Warrener as a person, but this year it was clear he couldn't get the job done for whatever reason (health concerns)...

I feel this is another failing of Playfair's. The Flames DID have defensive depth, but instead of going with it (Zyuzin, Gio and, later, Hale) he kept going back to the old warrior, despite the apparent health concerns. Giordano could have had a full season under his belt by the time the post season rolled around, but instead we still had a shaky, 12 minute/night rookie.

MacS said...

Hard to argue with you there.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on Warrener's playoffs — his mistakes went down, but it looked like it took everything he had in the world to get it done. I love his effort and his presence, but as Amonte showed all year too, that's not enough. He's be high on my list of guys who need to go, and that's a shame.

MacS said...

If there is anyway at all he was healthy I would love to have him back, I just seriously doubt that will happen.