Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bad Headlines & other misc



Before the Flames games start, I'm just going to declare how much I hate the playoffs, or more specifically, playoff headlines. They're just so stupid, and they come up every year for every series. For instance, the Flames/Wings series has a lot of opportunity for stupid puns. Calgary newspapers will declare things like 'Flames cook Hot Wings!' or 'Red Wings Soar over Flames' or stupid shit like that.

In the Flames/Ducks and Oilers/Ducks last year there was a lot of stupid crap like 'Time for Duck Soup!' or 'Duck Hunting!' or the like.

Now it sounds like the Wings have some stupid thing called the Red Wave which is some sort of colour scheme akin to the 'C of Red' (which I actually find quite clever actually). Honestly, it's pathetic the way teams are trying to copy traditions like the 'white-out' in Vancouver and the 'C of red' in Calgary with crappy marketing driven traditions. And this so called 'wave' will probably end up looking bad anyway, as sell outs in Detroit are not even close to a guarantee.

Anyway, just some pre-post game day headline ranting.

Ok, this just in from Open Ice Hits, Mick is reffing tonight's game. For god's sake. DAMN YOU SCARLETT!

8 comments:

Steal Thunder said...

In terms of the red wave and Joe Louis arena not selling out, maybe they are connected. The seats in the lower bowl of the 'Joe' are all red...

Coincidence? I think not...

Dave said...

I know I'll be at the Joe wearing red, and proud, Sunday...

But a different shade of red than the one they want...

MacS said...

That's sweet that you're getting to go to the game. I'd love to go to a road playoff game.

Unknown said...

Most Wings' fans think that all the playoff slogans are stupid and silly. Plus, I work for the Plymouth Whalers (OHL) team and our slogan is Catch the Wave, which we've had for years. They're just copycats. Haha.

And the thought of McGeough as referee for this game scares the crap out of me to be honest...

MacS said...

Christy, Red Wave is only an example, I'm not really trying to pick on Wings fans, more of the artificial nature of those types of movements.

And I don't know how McGeough reffing wouldn't scare the crap out of a fan.

Anonymous said...

I believe it's called marketing and, yes, it is annoying.

Lowering playoff ticket prices is a much better marketing idea that a stupid slogan. Welcome to the new NHL, I guess.

San Diego Wingnut

MacS said...

SDW,
I think your plan makes a little too much sense. Logic is not the NHL's strongpoint.

Anonymous said...

hey im william i am a new flames blogger add me i added you